Functions and Capacity
In this laboratory we can analyse various types of food or food related materials by imaging them at micro or nanoscale. This method can find a very broad application field, from food processing to food disinfection by imaging bacteria, mould and yeast, to new food development. When the microstructure of the food materials changes with temperature or pressure, or manipulated with any other methods, it provides valuable information to see those changes at the micro or nanoscale.
- Biological samples can be imaged at the scale of micro to nanometres.
- Samples can be imaged in their natural form, without dehydration or coating, at the environmental pressure.
- Dynamic experiments can be performed by changing the temperature (-20 °C to 50 °C) and the relative humidity (RH 0% to 100%) of the samples, by using the Peltier stage apparatus.
- Materials in liquids and emulsions can be imaged directly in that form without drying the liquid by using the WetSTEM detector.
Properties of the System
Instrument: FEI Quanta FEG 250
Sample Amount: The amount of solid sample could be in grams to micrograms. In liquids, it should be in microliters.
Image Resolution: The resolution of our instrument is 0.8 to 3.0 nm, depending on the type of detector, when in high vacuum mode, 1.4 to 3.0 nm when in ESEM mode.
- Peltier stage, Beam deceleration, EDS system
- SED, LFD, GSED, SS-BSED, GBSED, vCD, ICD, Wet – STEM.